Bagendon, Baunton, North Cerney 
and Stratton parishes
Copyright © 2009 All rights reserved.
HOME PAGE. News and events. Services. Contacts. Our churches. Gallery. Other stuff. Links.
St Margaret
Bagendon

A Short History (page 1 of 8)


The earliest portions of the present church date from about 1100. There may have been an earlier Saxon church as the tiny monolith windows of the tower are probably Saxon. The only surviving parts of the Norman church are: the two lower stages of the tower, the 3-arc arcade, the font, the tombstone of the founder (now in the tower) and, at either side of the lower chancel step, a curb moulding, possibly the footing of a Norman chancel arch.


Between 1450 and 1500 the whole church was remodelled in Perpendicular style. All the walls and windows of the nave, the three windows of the aisle, the upper stage and buttresses of the tower, the chancel and south porch all date from this time.


From 1500 to 1832 the fabric remained unaltered. Then in 1832 the floor of the nave was raised 2ft (60 cm) to deal with severe flooding (the floor of the church is below the level of the brook). This involved raising the tower opening and resulted in the loss of the original arch. In 1887 the nave, aisle and porch were re-roofed and two unsightly dormer windows added, one on either side of the nave.