Bagendon, Baunton, North Cerney 
and Stratton parishes
Copyright © 2009 All rights reserved.
HOME PAGE. News and events. Services. Contacts. Our churches. Gallery. Other stuff. Links.
St Margaret
Bagendon

A Short History (page 5 of 8)


Nave

There is a plain Norman tub font. The Norman arcade has short cylindrical piers with varied caps and bases, with three flat round arches of two chamfered orders with hood moulds. There is a low four-centred chancel arch. Note that the cap on the south side was sawn off in the 18th century to allow for a three decker pulpit!


Aisle

On the north wall there is an illuminated triptych memorial to Captain Claude Robinson, of Moor Wood, (died 1950) with a list of Rectors from 1279. Note the unusual height of the east window, under which there must once have been an altar. This would have been the Chapel of the founder whose grave slab (now in the tower) was found under the north wall.

The defacement of the eastern piers of the arcade suggest that there was a parclose to shut off the chapel. In the N.E. window is a reconstruction of two ancient figures of St. Margaret and St. John Baptist whilst in the E. window are fragments (which the restorers missed) of St Margaret's red robe and the head of her dragon.