Bagendon, Baunton, North Cerney 
and Stratton parishes
Copyright © 2009 All rights reserved.
HOME PAGE. News and events. Services. Contacts. Our churches. Gallery. Other stuff. Links.
St Mary Magdalene
Baunton

A Short History (page 1 of 3)


Of Norman origin, the church was built about 1150 by the Augustinian monks of Cirencester Abbey as a simple chapel of ease. The Abbot was Lord of the Manor of Baunton and the monks farmed land in the village.  The church remained in the possession of the abbey until the Dissolution in 1539. Some alterations have taken place over the years but the building retains much of its original shape and character


Baunton is mentioned in Domesday Book under its previous name of Baudintone From the Dissolution the Lordship of Baunton and the patronage of the church vested in the George family until 1779 when it was acquired by the Master family (now Chester-Master)


A major restoration was undertaken in 1876, which included the removal of plaster from the walls revealing the wall painting of St Christopher, believed now to date from the 15th century.  This shows a representation of the Saint carrying the infant Christ across a river The painting is on a large scale for a church of this size and is full of symbolism with numerous characters, figures buildings etc.